Monday, February 28, 2011

Natalie, Sandra, and Penelope, Oh My!

Happy Oscar Monday!  There is nothing better than a good awards show to get all of the stars together looking fabulous (or not-so-fabulous).  Of course, who really watches the actual awards show?!  Especially this year - Anne Hathaway and James Franco were virtually unbearable.  Franco looked like he had just finished a three-day bender, and Anne's costume changes couldn't keep me focused enough to ignore her terribly lame performance.

Luckily, the pre-Oscars red carpet didn't let me down!  It seemed like red, purple, and sparkly nudes were the trends this year.  I'm always a fan of a stunning red gown, and these luxurious ladies were show-stoppers. My favorite gown of the evening was Anne Hathaway's red carpet gown.  The floral appliqué train really put this gown over the edge for me, and I'm disappointed that she only wore it on the red carpet.  Jennifer Hudson was the only star in orange, which I love - and she looks great with her new figure.  Sandra Bullock always looks classy and fabulous, so I wouldn't expect anything less from last year's Best Actress winner.

Sandra in a scarlet Vera Wang gown; Anne in a vintage Valentino Haute Couture gown; and Jennifer in a tangerine Atelier Versace gown
The Black Swan stars looked stunning in purple.  Mila Kunis has got to be the hottest star right now, and she looked completely breath-taking on the red carpet.  There are so many things to love about her gown - the plunging lace neckline, the cute ribbon waist, and let's not forget the sexy peekaboo detailing.  Natalie Portman's growing baby bump couldn't have looked better.  Her off-the-shoulder gown really complimented her beautiful pregnancy glow, and I was excited that she won Best Actress.

Mila in a lavender Elie Saab Haute Couture gown, and Natalie in a violet Rodarte gown with Swarovski crystal beading
Usually I'm not a fan of nude gowns - I prefer a bold, vivacious color - but some of the stars really pulled off the nude look last night.  Halle Berry looked radiant in her strapless crystal-encrusted gown, but my favorite part was the ruffled train.  Gwyneth Paltrow looked super sleek with her stick-straight hair and her metallic gown.  And this one is a shocker to me, but check out Celine Dion!  She just had twins, and she looked flawless on the red carpet. 


Halle in a nude Marchesa figure-hugging gown; Gwyn in a fluid Calvin Klein Collection column; and Celine in an ivory long-sleeved Giorgio Armani Privé gown
You can never go wrong with the classic Hollywood look.  All of the ladies below hit my idea of classic Hollywood to a T.  And Penelope Cruz?  Just weeks after having a baby?  She is some freak of nature.  Let's just all agree that Javier Bardem is one lucky SOB. 

Camila Alves in a plunging black Kaufman Franco gown; Reese Witherspoon in a chic black-and-white Giorgio Armani Privé gown; Penelope in a plunging L'Wren Scott red gown with sequined flame accents; and Helen Mirren in a metallic Vivienne Westwood Couture gown
Now it's time for the dreaded worst-dressed stars.  Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the red carpet looks below.  Cate Blanchett's elaborately beaded lilac Givenchy Haute Couture gown was stunning - from the waist down.  I'm not a fan of the yellow beading or the design at her bust.  Scarlett Johansson looked like a hot mess in her burgundy lace Dolce & Gabbana gown.  What is with the hair and makeup?  Maybe she was hanging out with James Franco before the show.  Nicole Kidman's embellished white Dior Haute Couture gown was simply hideous.  I'm not sure why a pale redhead would choose a white gown, and quite frankly, I'm not sure why anyone would choose that gown.  I'm usually one for sparkles, but Amy Adams' glittering purple L'Wren Scott cap-sleeved gown just didn't do it for me.  If the neckline was plunging like Camila's gown, then I would definitely be on board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment