First, let me apologize for this picture - we were so hungry that I took our two pieces out before taking it! But second, let me tell you how much I have loved Sundays lately. Sundays have turned into my grocery shopping/recipe planning day of the week. Plus, you have all afternoon to start making dinner, so you can make those meals that take too long to make after work! Here is a yummy but still healthy lasagna for you to try :-)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb. ground chicken breast
1/2 cup egg whites
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
15 oz. fat free ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped frozen spinach, thawed
8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
1-24 oz. jar of your favorite tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray, and pour in 1 1/2 cups of tomato sauce to make the bottom layer of your lasagna.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add chopped onions. Cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add chicken, and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently, about 4-5 minutes.
5. Add remaining tomato sauce, and stir until well mixed. Remove from heat.
6. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and egg whites. Mix well.
7. Assemble your lasagna into 3 layers. For each layer, use 2 1/2 uncooked lasagna noodles, 1/3 ricotta mixture, 1/3 spinach, 1/3 mozzarella cheese, and 1/3 chicken mixture. Do not add mozzarella cheese to the 3rd layer just yet.
8. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Uncover dish, and add remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered for additional 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and edges are bubbly.
10. Serves 6. Enjoy for dinner tonight... and tomorrow when you have leftovers!