Thursday, March 10, 2011

Asian Ginger Mahi Mahi


Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, which marks the official start of Lent.  I saw a lot of status updates on Facebook regarding what people are giving up for Lent, and to be totally honest, the things that I should give up - like Diet Coke, desserts, and pizza - I have no desire to do so.  I even saw that some people were giving up Facebook, which totally blew my mind.  Who needs to read the news about current events, or call a friend to catch up on their lives, when you just sign onto Facebook?  Within 5 minutes of checking my newsfeed, I can learn about the score of the big game, the turmoil in other countries, and any major events in my friends' lives.

Since I don't give anything up, the least I can do is fast from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays in Lent.  So last night, Kris and I tried another new recipe!  We made an Asian-inspired mahi mahi dish and paired it with shrimp sauteed in white wine, lemon juice, and paprika.  We were going to make a side of veggies, but then it looked like a lot of food, so we didn't!  And it was a good decision because I couldn't finish everything on my plate  :-)  



INGREDIENTS:
2 6-ounce mahi mahi fillets
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1.  In a shallow glass dish, stir together the honey, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, ginger, minced garlic, and olive oil.
2.  Season mahi mahi fillets with salt and pepper.
3.  Place fish into the dish, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
4.  In a large skillet, drizzle enough olive oil to cover the pan, and heat on medium-high. 
5.  Place fish in skillet, and fry for 4-6 minutes on each side, turning only once, until fish flakes easily with a fork.
6.  In a separate skillet, pour marinade, and heat on medium until the mixture reduces to a glaze consistency.  
7.  Pour glaze over fish to taste, and serve!  FYI - We didn't use the entire mixture.  I would give it a little taste before covering your fish because it's pretty sweet!


No comments:

Post a Comment