Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Come On, Barbie, Let's Go Party


Happy 52nd birthday to Barbra Millicent Roberts a.k.a Barbie!  Looks pretty good for 52, don't you think?!  My childhood was consumed by playing with my Barbie dolls.  I had probably 30 or more versions of this doll, but only one Ken - that lucky bastard.  At one point, I had my Barbie dolls set up at various locations throughout my parents' house - several in the living room, a few set aside for bath time, and my brother's room (during the transition period before it became my new, bigger room) was my Barbie Paradise.


Even today, Barbie consumes a little part of my world.  Last year, I discovered Barbie's vintage calendar, where each month showcases a drawing based on a vintage Barbie.  Please look at the amazing fashion in the 2011 calendar!  It's a treat every month. 


As Barbie is very diverse and multicultural (note my sarcasm), you might remember that there is a Hispanic Barbie named Teresa.  As you can imagine, I was obsessed with this doll.  Coincidentally, Teresa has been labeled as Barbie's "official" best friend  :-)  That's right, Christie - BACK OFF.


The best part about playing with Barbie dolls was the accessories.  And I don't mean just the fabulous outfits, swimsuits, and pink plastic shoes.  I'm talking about the good stuff - the Dream House and the red Corvette.  To kick it up a notch, I also had a pink-and-white Jeep Wrangler for Barbie's beach vacays, and a hot pink limo so that Barbie, Teresa, and "the others" (Christie, that's you) could have a night out on the town in luxury and style. 

Ever wonder what it would be like to live in Barbie's Dream House?  Well, lucky for you, Mattel has designed a real-life Barbie Dream House in Malibu.  The house is a modest 3,500 square-feet, and it features a chandelier made entirely of Barbie hair and a sunburst mirror made out of 65 Barbie dolls.  Here are some of my favorite rooms.


Barbie's bedroom


Barbie's living room featuring the Barbie hair chandelier


Barbie's kitchen

Barbie's lounge



Another view of Barbie's lounge, complete with a fireplace and the sunburst 65-doll mirror




Barbie's terrace




Barbie's pool





Barbie's view of the Malibu beach



My favorite - Barbie's closet!
 

In case Barbie decides to leave her majestic palace...


And don't worry, the trunk has all of Barbie's necessities as she travels!



So if you are able to run to the store this afternoon, Barbie would really appreciate it if you could pick up a few things so she can prepare for her big 52nd birthday bash!  



1 comment:

  1. I am OBSESSED with barbie! and I have the same vintage calendar and a set of notecards ;) happy birthday babs!

    ReplyDelete