Today, we remember one of Hollywood's Golden Age actresses, Dame Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor. Whether you recognize her for her stunning beauty, her eight marriages, or her 40+ year film career, there is no denying that she is a legend.
* Born in London, England, but her parents were Americans from St. Louis, Missouri
* Appeared solo on the cover of People Magazine 14 times, second only to Princess Diana
|First actress to earn $1M in a film for her role in Cleopatra (1963)|
|Two of her eight marriages were to Richard Burton: March 1964-June 1974, and October 1975-August 1976. The couple starred in 11 movies together from 1963-73.|
* Her Bel Air home was once owned by Frank Sinatra and his first wife, Nancy
* Has owned some of the world's most magnificent jewelry, including:
|33-carat Krupp diamond|
|the Duchess of Windsor diamond brooch|
|the famous pear-shaped 69-carat Cartier diamond from Richard Burton, subsequently named the Burton-Taylor Diamond|
* Has broken her back four times
|Her measurements during the majority of her film career: 36C-21-36|
* Ranked #7 in the American Film Institute's list of the 50 Greatest American Screen Legends
* Godmother of Paris and Prince Michael Jackson
Famous "Kitten" quotes:
"My mother says I didn't open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked."
"If someone's dumb enough to offer me a million dollars to make a picture, I'm certainly not dumb enough to turn it down."
"I believe in mind over matter and doing anything you set your mind on."
"You find out who your real friends are when you're involved in a scandal."